HOME > Japan Rail Pass > Conditions of Japan Rail Pass

How to turn in an exchange order to receive a JAPAN RAIL PASS

  • You cannot use an Exchange Order when you travel on JR lines.After you arrive in Japan, you turn in the Exchange Order to receive your JAPAN RAIL PASS at an applicable JR station that has a JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange office.(See "Stations with JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange office")
  • Your Exchange Order must be turned in for a JAPAN RAIL PASS within three months of the date the Order was issued.
  • When you make the exchange you will be asked to fill in a simple application form and also to show the Temporary Visitor visa that was stamped in your passport when you entered Japan. You must show your passport with the Temporary Visitor stamp in it in order for your Rail Pass exchange order to be screened.
  • In order to speed up the exchange process in Japan, you should fill in this exchange application form in advance.

How to make seat reservations

  • Shinkansen,* most limited express and ordinary express trains have reserved Green Car seats and both reserved and non-reserved ordinary car seats.( The JAPAN RAIL PASS is not valid for any seats, reserved or non-reserved, on メNOZOMIモ trains on the Tokaido and Sanyo Shinkansen.)
  • There are no Green Cars on most HIKARI and KODAMA trains on the Sanyo Shinkansen line (Shin-Osaka ・Hakata), or on TSUBAME trains on the Kyushu Shinkansen line (Shin-Yatsushiro ・Kagoshima-Chuo)
  • A non-reserved seat (except for “NOZOMI” trains on the Tokaido and Sanyo Shinkansen) can be used simply by showing your JAPAN RAIL PASS.
  • Seat reservations can be made without additional payment.To make a reservation, go to any Travel Service Center or a Reservation Office (Midori-no-madoguchi) at a JR station, or to the sales office of a JR-associated travel agency. There, show your PASS, and obtain your reserved-seat ticket before boarding.
  • The "MIZUUMI" JR bus operating between Aomori and Lake Towada and the "OIRASE" JR bus operating between Hachinohe and Lake Towada both operate with fixed seating capacities so please obtain a bus reserved-seat ticket before boarding.

Notes regarding use

  • Use of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is strictly limited to the signer (hereafter "you") only.
  • You should carry your passport during travel, and be prepared to show it if requested.Without your passport, the pass exchange will not be made. (A photocopy of your passport is also not acceptable because you must show the "Temporary Visitor" stamp in it.)
  • If you are a Japanese national resident in a country other than Japan and with permanent resident status in that country, please show, in addition to your passport, documents testifying to your status.
  • The type of PASS described on the Exchange Order cannot be changed.
  • Neither an Exchange Order nor a JAPAN RAIL PASS can be reissued if lost or stolen.
  • Do not use an automatic ticket-reading gate with a JAPAN RAIL PASS or a reserved-seat ticket. Please show the PASS at a manned ticket gate.